Congratulations on growing your team! It's time for the fun part of onboarding your new hires into your organization. Using Collage's digital onboarding tool, it's easy to collect all the necessary information, share any documents, and make sure your new team members have everything they need on day one.
Note: Once you begin onboarding a new employee, you cannot save your progress and return to the page later. We suggest you read through these steps first to ensure you've already configured time-off policies, training programs, and hiring forms.
Hiring a new employee
Below, we'll walk you through each step so you know just what to expect. Or, watch our video to see it in action:
1. Start here
To hire a new employee and start their onboarding process, navigate to the Employees module and then click on the Hire button on the right-hand side.
There are eight main sections to the digital onboarding flow that we go over below:
- Employee Info,
- Job Details,
- Time-Off Enrolment,
- Employee Information to Collect,
- Onboarding Tasks,
2. Adding employee personal information
In the first section of the employee onboarding, provide the basic personal information of a new employee:
- First name,
- Last name,
- Invitation email,
- Start date.
Note: Employees will be able to use a different email from their invitation email as their login.
3. Adding employee job information
Next, provide job information details for their role:
- Job title,
- Location of their office,
- Employment type (Full Time, Part Time, Temporary, Intern, Volunteer, Contractor),
- Pay rate, including currency and pay type,
- Pay frequency,
- Bonus structure.
4. Enrolling an employee in a time-off policy
From the dropdown menu, pick a time-off policy you've set up in the Time Off module that applies to this employee.
5. Enrolling an employee in a group benefits policy (if applicable)
If you decided to sync your health benefits plan to Collage, you will be able to choose a benefits class and a probationary period in the two dropdown menus. That's all you need to do on your side, we will then make sure they are enrolled in the benefits plan.
Employees will be asked to provide all the necessary benefits enrolment information as part of their onboarding.
6. Including documents for a new employee to review and/or sign
As part of the onboarding flow, you can also send any documents to your new hire that you would like them to review and/or digitally sign right on Collage.
There are two ways you can do that:
- You can either use one of the document templates that you've already created under your company settings and which you would be able to select from the list in this section, or
- Upload any documents specific to your new hire by clicking on + Add a document.
Note: If you want new hires to sign a document electronically, you need to annotate a PDF to enable e-signatures.
The documents that you share with your new hires will be accessible under the Documents tab of their employee profile, but will only appear there after they've completed their onboarding.
7. Collecting a new employee's banking and tax information (optional)
If you want to collect your new hires' banking and tax information (available only for Canadian employees), select Yes under both of the options.
- Collect banking info: Your new employee will be instructed to enter their banking information—transit number, institution number and account number. This means you don't need to ask them for void cheques anymore!
- Collect tax info: You new employee will be asked to complete both the Canadian federal tax form as well as the provincial tax form that is applicable to them. They will be asked to download, complete and then upload these forms to their profile.
Note: If you decide to skip these steps, we can still enable these features for you on our end.
8. Selecting onboarding tasks pertaining to a new employee
Here you can add any tasks that need to be completed as part of the onboarding process. You can assign it to the new employee themselves, their manager, or any other person on your team. Optionally, you can also set a due date for a task: before, on, or after their start date.
Your existing employees will then receive an email notification letting them know of their tasks, and the tasks will also appear in the Collage Inbox for both your existing employees and new hires as they join your team.
9. Enrolling a new employee in a training program
In this final step, you will be able to select any training programs you would like your new hires to go through. They will be enrolled during their onboarding and have a pending task in their Collage Inbox to remind them of the training.
Note: In order for your training programs to show up in this list, you must first create any training programs in the Training module of the platform.
Sending an invitation to join your team on Collage
Once you went through all the steps and included all the information you wanted, it is time to send the invitation to your new team member. Simply click on Send Invitation at the bottom of the page and we will deliver an email to their inbox notifying them of an exciting moment in their career.
Example of an email invitation:
All they have to do to start is click on Get Started and follow the next step. We are also here to support them at every step of the way, with help articles and with real people.
Note: New hires will be reminded to complete their onboarding on a daily basis.
You can also read about how other customers save hours of work with onboarding through Collage.